2021 Marching Band & Color Guard:
Whether you are new or returning to Marching Band, we know that it can be a bit overwhelming to keep up with all the information and requirements at the beginning of the season. Especially after a pandemic year! Below is a checklist to help keep you on track and up to date. Please make sure that you complete each step.
Step 1: Students & Parents – Check out this calendar of dates HERE
Step 2: Parents – fill out REGISTRATION forms HERE
- Registration Forms still NEEDED for the following students:
Step 3: Wind, Percussion, & Color Guard Students – attend all Kick-Off dates in May
Step 4: Attend Parent meeting (Recording is below for those that couldn’t attend or lost connection during the Zoom)
Parents, pause the video when you get to the QR code and use another device to scan the QR code for attendance
Step 5: Wind & Percussion Students – Sign up for uniform fitting HERE
Fittings will take place on May 15th between 9a-4p
Fitting times are for a 10 minute slot. Students only need to be present for the time slot they sign up for.
Volunteers are also needed. – Sign up HERE to help.
Color Guard does NOT need to sign up for a uniform fitting. They will be measured during a June rehearsal for their costumes.
Step 6: Submit 2021 Marching Band CONTRACT by May 15th
Contract can be found HERE
- Contracts still NEEDED for the following students:
Step 7: Submit 2021 Marching Band Registration Fee by May 15th
$150 Registration Fee:
Check made out to CGTBB & placed in white box in music office (label envelope with student’s name)
Online through Charms (instructions in band handbook – bottom of home page)
Scholarship/Waiver Applications due May 15th – click HERE to apply
Step 8: Parents, download the “BAND” app and click this link to join the “2021 – Parents Marching Band” group: https://band.us/n/aca657w7deBbe
Students will be invited to join a separate 2021 – Students Marching Band group and also one for their section.
Step 9: Sign up for the Marching Band Trip to Orlando by May 15th if you are interested. Click HERE for details
Step 10: Pre-Sell tickets and attend the Car Wash on June 5th
Flyer with details coming soon!
Step 11: Begin Marching Band Fee Payments (first payment due June 1st)
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is Color Guard?
- Center Grove Color Guard (CGCG) is a team of dedicated students that combines intricate dance, flags, rifles, and sabers into a wonderful visual production.
- CGCG is a part of the CGHS Marching Band and requires an audition. Some dance background is beneficial but not required. We’ll work hard, learn new skills, and have fun along the way.
- If you are interested, we encourage you to come to try-outs to see what it’s all about. You can make a decision at the end of that week.
- What is Marching Band?
- The CGHS Marching Band is made up of approximately 120+ dedicated high school students that play a variety of instruments (woodwind, brass, percussion, keyboard) and color guard (dancers, flags, rifles, sabers) visually creating a show for home football games and competing on a state and national level. Come join us in May and see what Marching Band is all about!
- What do I need to bring to try-outs/rehearsal?
- Wear comfortable clothes that you can move in. Shorts and t-shirt or tank top plus tennis shoes.
- Bring your instrument and water bottle.
- Do I have to be in a band class in order to be in Marching Band?
- Yes, winds and percussion must participate in one of our three band classes during the school year and color guard students must be in the color guard class in order to be a member of the Marching Band.
- What if I’m not currently signed up for a band or color guard class?
- That’s ok. Please contact us if you are interested! We can talk about opportunities and ways to get you involved.
- Is transportation provided from the middle school for 8th graders trying out?
- MSN students – transportation is NOT provided. We suggest carpooling with other families. Mr. Bolla might be able to connect you with another family if you need help.
- MSC students – will need a note from their parent turned in to the main office at MSC if they want to walk over the the HS after school.
- Are there practices over the summer?
- Yes, click HERE for a list of those dates. We are beginning rehearsals virtually until we are able to meet at the high school.
- What is the schedule like once school starts?
- View the calendar HERE on our website. Marching Band begins in May and goes through mid November. There are practices after school, we perform at home football games, and compete on Saturdays in local, state, and national competitions.
- Are there fees associated with participating in Marching Band?
- Yes, please view the 2021-2022 Band Handbook HERE for details
- I want to invite others to sign up for marching band. What should I tell them?
- Share THIS document with them and send them to www.centergrovebands.com!
Contacts: Feel free to contact us with any questions!
- Kevin Schuessler, CGHS Director of Bands email@example.com
- John Clemons, CGHS Band Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Josh Torres, CGHS Percussion Director email@example.com
- Keith Potter, CGHS Color Guard Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Renee Skipper, CGHS Music Secretary email@example.com